Published: 2013/02/08

Why Two Phish T-Shirts Were On Parks and Rec Last Night

On last night’s episode of the NBC show Parks & Recreation a character named Harris wore two different Phish t-shirts (one was blue, the other was purple). In both scenes, he tries to get the town of Pawnee, IN to create a “topless park.”

The fictional character Harris was played by Parks & Rec writer and producer Harris Wittels, an avid Phish fan who has name-checked The Vermont Quartet on the show in the past. (Wittels played a character who has seen Phish over 200 times and lives with his mom last season.) When he’s not on the set of Parks, Wittels also hosts the comedy podcast Analyze Phish.

He also recently spoke to our sister site Relix.com about his love of Phish and attempts to get his fellow Parks writers into the band. Click here to read our interview with the 28-year-old writer.

Harris guests on Parks and Recreation last year.

Comments

Todd February 8, 2013, 09:36:02

There’s actually two writers on that show that are into Phish, the other is named Tim i think. He’s a regular poster at phish.net.

Beaser February 8, 2013, 10:12:39

If you don’t like it, then don’t read it. You knew what you’re getting yourself into when you read the headline, but wait, yall couldn’t pass up the opportunity to troll a bit… Its a shame how 1/3 of people who talk about Phish on the internet do so out of their own asses from under a bridge. I guess you gotta pay the troll toll…

me February 8, 2013, 12:11:17

Funny… I don’t really watch the show but it was on in the house last night and I happened to see it as Harris was making the request for the topless park… rewound it for the wife so she could see the shirt… being a phan since the early days, it still cracks me up when there’s a reference to a band that is now huge… it may be much ado about nothing, but it sure beats losers who bitch about it…

TED February 10, 2013, 17:59:43

READ THE FUCKING BOOK

L1verk1ck February 10, 2013, 20:16:43

No shinymetalass
You enjoy myself !!!

iriesda February 12, 2013, 11:05:09

I own 1.27345211 phish shirts. I also heard them on a local radio station last night. I happened to catch their “Down with Disease” video on MTV sometime in the last decade. I just thought you might want to shine your ass with that metal.

Togo February 15, 2013, 17:02:22

If he is a phish fan then why does he continue the stupid stereotype about living with his mom. It’s an insult to those of us who have to miss shows because we have rent to pay and jobs to go to.

Danward February 17, 2013, 01:34:25

They played Sample in a jar at.this mexican joint I was at last night in Columbia. It was awesome

chris February 8, 2013, 09:13:12

I didn’t even notice the phish shirts, I actually recognized Harris and said to my wife “Hey it’s the writer who loves phish” just as I was about to say his name he beat me to it.

shinymetalass February 8, 2013, 06:51:28

Great.. a phish shirt was worn on t.v. who cares.. like ppl name check bands and make play on waords regarding bands, we dont need an update everytime someone farts the name trey or JK

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck February 8, 2013, 08:11:57

i had phish for dinner

bj February 8, 2013, 08:30:55

obviously the headline was to plug interview you dumb ass

shinymetalass February 8, 2013, 08:55:04

Thanks Blow Job, how many phish shirts do you have and what colors….. curious minds WANT to KNOW!! Enjoi yourself!!