Published: 2013/02/14

Dave Grohl’s Sound City Players Rock NYC’s Hammerstein

Last night, Dave Grohl brought his all-star Sound City Players to New York City’s Hammerstein Ballroom for an extended showcase of the featured players’ hits. The band was assembled to help promote Grohl’s new documentary Sound City, regarding the legendary LA studio of the same name. The band was comprised of the complete Foo Fighters touring lineup, plus Grohl’s Nirvana bandmate Krist Novoselic, Alain Johannes (Eleven, Queens Of The Stone Age), Chris Goss (Masters of Reality), Brad Wilk (Rage Against The Machine), Lee Ving (Fear), Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick), Rick Springfield, John Fogerty, and Stevie Nicks.

The show began and was interspersed with clips from the documentary that served to both highlight the film as well as introduce the featured players. The first set was led by Johannes on vocals and guitar, joined at first by the Foo’s Nate Mendel on bass, Taylor Hawkins on drums, Rami Jafee on keys and Jessy Greene providing backup vocals, plus Grohl on lead guitar. Following the opening number, the original “A Trick With No Sleeve” from the Sound City soundtrack, Grohl switched to bass, Greene added violin and the Foo’s Chris Shiflett came out to add guitar while Mendel sat out for the remaining set of Eleven and QOTSA tunes.

The following set brought out Goss on guitar and vocals and Wilk on drums, backed by Johannes on bass, Grohl and Shiflett on guitar, and Jafee on keys. The band ripped through a selection of Masters of Reality tunes, with another soundtrack original mixed in. Kicking the tempos up a notch, the next set featured Ving on guitar and vocals, backed by Hawkins on drums, Johannes on bass, and Grohl and Pat Smear on guitar. The appearance of Smear at this point in the set was significant, as his first band The Germs came from the same late-70’s LA punk scene as Fear, and the two hardcore veterans clearly enjoyed sharing the stage with each other. Following the original “Your Wife Is Calling,” the band demonstrated their common roots in punk, tearing through a set of Fear classics with exceptional authenticity, kicking off with “I Love Livin’ in the City.”

The response was particularly loud for the emergence of Nielsen on guitar and Novoselic on bass for the subsequent set. Reuniting the Nirvana rhythm section, the rest of the band consisted of Grohl on drums and Smear on guitar, with Hawkins gleefully handling the vocal duties. The combination of the familiar tunes with the lineup of musicians playing them, brought the crowd energy up for a set of Cheap Trick standards, with a Fats Domino cover thrown in. The universal inclination to sing along led Wilk to jump on a mic to sing backup on the set-closing “Surrender.”

From this point on, the Foo’s touring lineup played backing band for the remaining featured performers. The first of those sets was led by a spry Rick Springfield, performing a soundtrack original, a Sammy Hagar cover, and a trio of his own tunes capped off by the hit “Jessie’s Girl.” Springfield was followed by Fogerty who led the band through an extended set of Creedence classics. The final set was led by Nicks, and opened with her 1981 duet with Tom Petty, “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” with Grohl covering Petty’s part of the tune. Following the final soundtrack original of the night, Nicks closed out the show with a trio of Fleetwood Mac classics.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist

Alain Johannes w/ Grohl, Hawkins, Jafee, Greene, Mendel/Shiflett
A Trick With No Sleeve (original)
Why (Eleven)
All My Friends (Eleven)
Hangin’ Tree (Queens Of The Stone Age)
Reach Out (Eleven)

Chris Goss and Brad Wilk w/ Johannes, Grohl, Shiflett, Jafee
She Got Me (Masters of Reality)
It’s Shit (MoR)
Domino (MoR)
Time Slowing Down (original)
The Blue Garden (MoR)

Lee Ving w/ Johannes, Hawkins, Grohl, Smear
You Wife Is Calling (original)
I Love Livin’ in the City (Fear)
Gimme Some Action (Fear)
Beef Bologna (Fear)
I Don’t Care About You (Fear)
Foreign Policy (Fear)

Rick Nielsen and Krist Novoselic w/ Grohl, Smear, Hawkins, Jafee
Hello There (Cheap Trick)
Stiff Competition (Cheap Trick)
I Want You To Want Me (Cheap Trick)
Ain’t That A Shame (Fats Domino)
Surrender (Cheap Trick)

Rick Springfield w/ Foo Fighters
The Man That Never Was (original)
I’ve Done Everything for You (Sammy Hagar)
Love Is Alright Tonite (Springfield)
Love Somebody (Springfield)
Jessie’s Girl (Springfield)

John Fogerty w/ Foo Fighters (all Creedence Clearwater Revival songs)
Travelin’ Band
Born On The Bayou
Centerfield
Keep on Chooglin’
Bad Moon Rising
Proud Mary
Fortunate Son

Stevie Nicks w/ Foo Fighters
Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (Nicks/Petty)
You Can’t Fix This (original)
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)
Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
Gold Dust Woman (Fleetwood Mac)

Comments

Clive Bigsby February 14, 2013, 16:52:14

Wow, to be at that show would be the best thing I could ever imagine. Talk about once in a life time. I am so jealous of those who were able to attend. I am gonna have to get me a copy of this show!!

Rusty February 14, 2013, 18:01:26

Yes, it was absolutely amazing! I travelled to NY from Atlanta, just for this show, with my wife and a friend. We are still in that state of post show euphoria mixed with mild hangover. It was, by far, the best show i’ve seen in years. Each legend has been sparked to larger than life by this project. Dave and crew have done something truly historic. To be there was an honor. Why we were the only people dancing, literally, is beyond me. Those of you who were telling us to sit down, so sorry you would have rather been on your couch. If you can possibly catch one of these performances, do not miss it. It’ll never happen again. Pure rock and roll!

andrew February 15, 2013, 09:00:11

Wow do I disagree with you Rusty, I was there and when I left after the first 17 songs of pure garbage, someone outside asked me why everyone was leaving and I told him why. I am a big fan of all types of music but it is a horrible expierience to go to a show and for starters, it starts 1 hour 15 minutes late and then all you hear for the first 17 songs are obscure tunes that I am sure very few people that went to the show ever heard in their lives before. I am still a huge Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl fan but give me a break. He could of at least mixed it up by playing the unknown stuff and then some popular, back and forth like that. And they could of at least played the 2 Queen’s of a Stone Age songs that we all know and so on with those first 4 bands that might of had top 40 hits. And yes by not staying I misseed a great hour or so of music but I just couldn’t take it anymore along with a lot of other people leaving.

andrew February 15, 2013, 09:21:26

I wasn/t saying that the performance was bad because I play in a band myself and thouth that it sounded awesome and Rusty is 100% right about the project being larger than life and pure rock and roll, but unfortunately he and the other 2 people he went with might have been the only people that know a lot of music from the bands they covered for the first hour and a half which were ELEVEN, QUEENS OF A STONE AGE, MASTERS OF REALITY, FEAR, and a couple of what seemed to be brand new original songs just for this show. Yes, most of the people there and myself would have been happier spending the evening on our couches.

dankerator February 15, 2013, 09:45:19

“I love livin in the city” “I don’t care aoubt You” ARE WHAT A TUNE’S !!! Wish i could have just seen that!! too bad they didn’t do “have a beer with Fear”

Foo February 15, 2013, 11:23:58

I was there as well and can confirm that rock and roll has truly died. I too left early Terrible set list and likely the weakest sound cIty produced in all of her glorious years.

andrew February 15, 2013, 11:53:02

Hello mr. Foo. Just becuase we both agree that the set list, at least up to when I left and when it was that you left was aweful, I cant say that Rock -n – Roll has truely died becuase if Dave Grohl anownced a 3 night show at the Hammerstien but was strickley a Foo Fighters show, all 3 shows would sell out in 10 minutes. Guess I am saying that the only band keeping Rock n roll going and alive is the Foo Fighters but then Grohl goes and does something so silly with that set list when there were so many REAL GREAT songs that came out of sound city and makes it seem like rock has died. He sure did put a bullet in rock music the other day though. And last thing, if all the 3500 people that went to that show could go back in time and had a choice to sell their tickets back, probably 95% of them would.

Crackrrrr February 15, 2013, 12:29:45

How much were the ticket$? A rough and tumble crowd is at the heart of rock and roll, but most shows are priced for upscale music “consumers.” They want hits played just like on the album accompanied by the pretension of saying they were there. It doesn’t surprise me that they couldn’t be bothered to get out of their seats to dance. As John Lennon said, “Just rattle your jewelry.”

SomethingsPhishy February 15, 2013, 13:53:35

Nice review. Check out another perspective on the NYC show at http://drypaintsigns.blogspot.com/2013/02/dave-grohl-brings-his-sound-city.html

andrew February 15, 2013, 14:29:37

I just checked out that review that somethingsphishy suggested and was expecting something maybe more about what I was thinking. I guess when attending a concert, at least on this sight I am in the minority when it comes to expecting to hear radio friendly songs that are not just listened to by the 30 people that were getting high back in the 90’s listenining to full CD’s over and over again of indi music in their parents basement. Bottom line is I am just a top 40 guy and the live music I like to attend is top 40, which by the way is what made Dave Grohl who he is. He was a drummer in a band that played a new type of music that happened to be melodic like most radio friendly music is and then started the Foo Fighters which is also that type of music. Had he not had the ability to write melodic songs after Nirvana no one would ever know who he was again. So with so much talent and knowing that most people came to hear the real good songs, why oh why did he not at least mix it up a bit for the first 17 songs and make the majority of people who paid a lot of money happy. Instead, no bull people were exiting the doors like I have never seen before at a show with such a big star as Dave Grohl.

Mike D February 15, 2013, 15:24:50

I can’t believe that people would complain about that show!! For $100 ticket you got to see some of rock’s legends at an awesome venue playing songs people haven’t heard live in years…granted the hour delay sucked but it was well worth the wait. As far as the obscure songs, that’s what made the show even better. You were introduced to songs you never heard before and ya might go download em if ya liked em…that’s the point. You want a greatist hits concert? Go pay $300 to see CSNY, The Eagles or Van Halen and you can sing a long all you want!! I’ve spent more than $100 at a bar in one afternoon and got nothing to show for it than nasty hangover!!

andrew February 15, 2013, 15:56:14

You make perfect sense Mike, but once again I would have probably taken interest in tunes I never heard before had they mixed it up a bit in the first 17 or 18 songs. I did like the rifs that the guy from Queen’s of a Stone age was playing but I went to the show for other stuff also and I didn’t get to here any of it because I lost my patience just like all the others that left. I really heard the security repeating all exits are final over and over again as I was leaving. Its just something I never saw before. Give me a little Creedence, Fleetwood Mac, Cheap Trick or even Springfield a little earlier and I would have stayed for the whole show and felt like I did back in the days when I went to shows in the 80’s and 90’s. We all have our different likes and dislikes when it comes to music and good music is not a fact but rather an opinion. I’m sure even you know that most songs grow on us and its very rare that we fall in love with tunes the first time we hear them. Though I did freak out about 8 years ago when I heard that big hit from Queen’s of a Stone Age for the first time. I said WOW, real rock n roll again and I hope I hear more new music like this. Its a shame though that bands like the White Stripes, The Killers and even the Foo’s are taken a back seat in the industry now becuase my favorite music is still good old rock-n-roll. The closest new music to good rock is the neon trees and if thats all I have to look forward to then I don’t know where rock is going.

andrew February 15, 2013, 16:43:52

Just realized, the longer people stay the more money the bar brings in. Great musician, singer song writers are smart people. Grohl probably gets a piece of the bar in the contract so the longer he keeps us there the more money we will spend which leads to more generations of his family not having to work and get to live off his savings. So as a business it makes sense for him to keep the paying crowd waiting for Fogerty, Nicks, cheap trick and even Springfield. Its rock n roll but also a business.

andrew February 15, 2013, 17:01:17

Now my last post is just being silly. I just wanted to hear Dave Grohl who I consider one of the all time greats play music with other musicians who have written some awesome songs over the years and I have just been a bit upset and disturbed the last few days that he did it his way not the way I am used to seeing a show with a line up like that. And by the way, I really like the Eagles but as far as Van Halen, I consider them a horrible rock band and have no interest in their greatest hits.

Apuse10 February 15, 2013, 23:21:20

Andrew
Shut up!

Pam February 16, 2013, 11:22:46

OMG i cant believe people are complaining about this show. For $107 i got to see classic artists all on one stage, and 3 hours, which breaks down to about $35 an hour. Even songs I didn’t know made me want to dance. What talent on that stage! This was worth every penny & more. Was hoping the Foos would have done some of their own songs for an encore, but you can’t have everything. This was an epic show, and I am so glad I went. What an experience.

andrew February 16, 2013, 14:37:07

apuse10, I will say what I want when I want. The show was what it was up to whenI left. PURE GARBAGE. So If this is shutting up then I have just shut up

Patrick February 18, 2013, 08:30:36

ONe of the best shows I have ever seen. I loved all the sets and I loved the videos in-between. I was there with my 14 year old son, and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Adam March 2, 2013, 23:53:19

Andrew, you are pathetic. People like you that only want to hear the hits are the absolute worst. Those songs you are longing to hear are horribly played out. Real rock lives on but you are too busy sucking your thumb to take notice. If you don’t want to experience new music stay home and watch vh1 classic.

Joann March 12, 2013, 21:00:34

Well Andrew you left before the best part of the show so you really can’t judge the whole show. If you went to a concert and didnt like the opening act would you leave before the headliner came on because of that? I went more for the acts in the second half of the show but I could appreciate the first half just to watch Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins because you can tell they truly love to play, regardless of what it is and it makes you appreciate the music more. I thought the show was amazing!

Joann March 12, 2013, 21:03:43

And no offense, but the tickets were $100 after fees, not a lot of money for the length of the concert or the lineup. If you think that’s a lot of money for a concert, I take it you don’t get to many shows. That’s pretty standard. I also don’t remember the show starting as late as you mention. I did miss my train because it ran so long and had to take a local that made every stop…but still worth it to me!!

Amanda March 13, 2013, 13:42:52

Loved this movie and I wish I was there to see the show, really excited for the DVD/soundtrack release that’s coming out! Check out the trailer: http://smarturl.it/SCtrailer

Amanda March 13, 2013, 13:43:08

gazelle kawamoto March 28, 2013, 07:51:36

grohl and his top 40 view of rock history is worthless – all just plays off sell-out career – the germs were not pat smear’s band it was darby’s band the germs are nothing without darby – and what the fuck was lee ving doing with with all those tools?! A:$$$