Published: 2013/10/10

Furthur Have No Plans for a New Year’s Run

Furthur will not be doing a New Year’s Eve run this December. The news was announced yesterday via a post on John Kadlecik’s Facebook page. The Furthur guitarist’s statement reads:

Back home on the Maryland side of Washington DC, with a heart full of gratitude for all the wonderful music I have been privileged to be a part of with Furthur for the last four years. Its true: there will be no Furthur NYE shows this year, and after the four shows in Mexico in January we will be taking a hiatus for the rest of 2014. So I offer thanks to my bandmates, our amazing road crew, the management and publicity team, and to all of YOU for your awesome dancing and beautiful smiles!

As previously reported, Furthur recently announced that they will be taking a hiatus for the rest of 2014 following their upcoming four-night “Paradise Waits” run in Mexico this January. The band has hosted New Year’s Eve runs at the Bill Graham Auditorium in San Francisco for the last four years.

Comments

Joshua Katt October 10, 2013, 10:28:18

Shame traveling there for the last 2 runs (from NY). I sadly predict the end of this great band. The sum of all the parts really made this band shine for me. I don’t see how Bob & Phil can keep the other talents idle for a year and hope to reform in 2015. I think there is a riff between the 2 and hope they overcome it sooner than later… (I never saw GD but let the bashing begin!)

JORDAN October 10, 2013, 10:40:41

Is there a rift? If there is, what is it about. Or is this an UGLY RUMOR .Who knows …........Phil is playing new band new direction..new experience..onward and upward …May he blow us away with more amazing music!!

Joshua Katt October 10, 2013, 11:11:08

Just an ugly rumor heard from someone supposedly connected – lingering issues concerning health. Plus I see Phil singing less and less, down to barely one song per half at the 8 shows I saw in Sept. Don’t understand why they are giving up a good thing. Three tours a year for three weeks at a time plus NYE is hardly non-stop touring. I pray I am wrong…

AJ Genovesi October 10, 2013, 11:18:54

I think they need to form a new band with John Kadlecik, Jeff Chimetti, Joe Russo, Jackie Greene and Jason Crosby on Bass. No back up singers, just a rock band. Name to be decided later!

Dean October 10, 2013, 11:36:48

Great idea, AJ!

Cleeet October 10, 2013, 11:47:40

Do a 73- year-old guy and a 66-year-old guy need a reason not to want to do extensive touring? I’m grateful for all the shows I have seen. I hope to hear more music from Bob and Phil, together and separately, but only when and if they want to do it.

Glasson October 10, 2013, 12:38:21

Whattup Aldo? I would see that lineup…maybe throw Schools in the mix also

TellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!! October 10, 2013, 13:02:08

Phil should squash beef w/ kimock, get derick trucks and rotate keys in his lineup between Hollingsworth, Hornsby, and Medeski to keep shit fresh…. Russo or/and molo on drums. Nicki Bluhm on vocals. Mike dillon on xylophone…. Rahzel from the roots once in a while?!!! Call it Phantasy Philball. Now that would be a show worth a buck50 @ the crossroads…...

Luke October 10, 2013, 18:44:59

Tough to know what they’ll do…but as long as they’re healthy I see nothing stopping them in the coming few years, as amazing as that is at their ages. By now however this is just the norm..that entire generation is more or less 70 and doing what noone thought rocknrollers would be doing at this age..this was supposed to be reserved for jazz cats, these ages. Great stuff and we’re all grateful. By the way there certainly is no beef, whatever had been between Bob and Phil is long gone and had only been temporary anyway. In whatever forms they undoubtedbly will be playing together in the future, the only question is will it be with a ‘permanent’ band like this one or just once in a while? In the meantime there should be some fine evenings with whatever Phil cooks up with his friends (hope Molo is back) and Bob’s many endeavors.
Rocknroll to alll

Nepotism 101 October 10, 2013, 23:45:40

They had a great run and I have seen nearly every incarnation of Phil and friends since 99. The shows at the Cap were brilliant. This being said, it is an insult to all the fine musicians he has played with having his son as a featured player and his other sons substandard bar band as an opener. These are not even average musicians and we are to lap it up because of their last name, no thanks.

brotherbill October 11, 2013, 18:27:04

all ready for the return of the ‘DOG and Phil and friends (hopefully at ALLGOOD)

RealityCheck October 11, 2013, 19:46:04

Another Dead tour? I am sorry, but it is now painfully obvious that age is quickly creeping up on both Bob and Phil. 2015 is a long ways away, and I highly doubt that they are going to have the energy / physical stamina at that point to launch a 50th anniversary tour which would involve multiple cities over several months. I predict a few shows here and there in the Bay Area, possibly even GD reunion, but nothing nationwide. Unfortunately time is marching on. Both Phil and Bob are doing a lot to promote younger up and coming musicians, however, which is a good thing, as they are the next generation and will be all that we have in the future.

MileHigh October 11, 2013, 15:03:14

The 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead is coming up in 2015. Bob & Phil need to put Furthur on a shelf so they can start preparing for another Dead tour. It should shape up to be one hell of a good tour with JK in the band.

Dave October 14, 2013, 14:42:24

They need to get Mickey back in the band. He has been doing the most interesting new music with Hunter.

Jeff October 14, 2013, 17:46:07

got to see all three at the Greek in LA 10/4-6.
Saturday nights show was epic.
BEST FURTHER SHOW EVER and the best song selection i’ve heard in one night in my 101 shows.
It’s been a great run.
i“m trying hard to get tickets to Mexico, but sold out…....trying to find tix and stay somewhere else, hope it works. I don’t want it to end.
it’s been part of my life and that of my daughters since she saw them the first time at Giants Stadium many moons ago…............Keeping the DEAD alive

bob king October 16, 2013, 17:33:33

radio city m.h. was a great show with elvis c. the shows in port chester were sooo much fun, even when bob fell. jack straw in brooklyn was the highlight of my 31 shows. mississippi 1/2 step in boston in july was incredible. i love the mountain song- so many roads in p. chester.i’m going to 2 shows in p. chester in 2 weeks cause john k. is worth the price of admission, any day!!! the beacon theatre shows were also great,i caught 3.

mitch October 20, 2013, 13:11:36

furthur is just boring .i have ssen thedead since 1969 and this not even remotely similiar. Dudes they only want your money. When was the last free show by these thieves. bob weir worth 30 million phil worth 30 million. really people it’s not about the music anymore Sorry

Jdog October 21, 2013, 23:28:09

Ur so right.

Pang October 25, 2013, 23:57:50

Give em a break ya’ll! They have all earned a rest! The music will continue no matter what as long as we keep it in our hearts! I truly hope Furthur will be back in 2015 but if not, we as deadheads must carry the torch! Support live music, local, national, interplanetary! Peace, love, music

X-12 November 25, 2013, 18:09:10

I know of no rift. It is rumor and pointless. There are some health issues that will be addressed in said time off as they need time to heal. The other players will rejoin afterwards, as this is the best gig of their lives. We will have plenty of music and joy in a year from now love providing.
Hare Krishna